Monday, January 22, 2018

coloring and aha arts

In my quest to improve my coloring skills thanks to the #thedailymarker30day challenge, I went searching for more images to color. Not in the mood for florals yet, I discovered I don't have a lot of cute animals (who seem to be the fave for coloring). My stamp arsenal is full of graphic or nature images. But I found this little gal in an Aha Arts set (designed by Ashley Goldberg - love her).

Aha Arts Girls stamp

What did I try? Imagining my light source over my right ear which would create highlights on the top of her head and her pocket. And consequently shadows on the left and under her chin. And applying light layers. With super sharp pencils. Cuz I watched this video.

What did I learn?
1. You can use only two colors (light and dark blue, light and dark gray) and hit the darkest areas with  a tiny bit of black. Especially on small images.

2. You can color a face with only one pencil (cuz my set only has one rosy tone) and blend it a bit with a white pencil.

3. An eraser can be used to lighten up an area. I did this to highlight a bit of her hair on the right side. I had a problem figuring out where to highlight/shade her hair. I'm OK with the top of her head but don't like the transition to the side. Maybe it's the way the image is illustrated.

I'm joining these challenges:
The Color Throwdown - #476
Addicted to Stamps - Baby it's Cold Outside (I've used cool colors)
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes/Something New (new is that I'm coloring- with shading)
AAA Cards - Chilled (my colors)





6 comments:

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Hi Maria! This is CAStastically adorable and sweet. I love your coloring.

Ksenija @Sweet Kobylkin said...

Maria, this is an absolutely sweet card. I really enjoyed reading your post. Love your sense of humour regarding "chilled" and "cold outside" challenges, accepted :) I am always glad to see your creations at AAA Cards gallery. - Sweet Kobylkin

Jane said...

Sweet card and beautifully CAS. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Jannet said...

Beautifully coloured and so very cute! Adorable x

ÅsaJ said...

Such a sweetie! Love the CAS style! Thanks for joining AAA Cards! Hugs Åsa

Jo Ann said...

This is simply adorable. So glad you joined our January Challenge and would like to invite you to join us again this February at 613 Avenue Create. Have a blessed day!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...