Tuesday, November 11, 2014

joyful and stuffed

Back with more fun using the Joyful stamp set from STAMPlorations. This time I played with the stocking image.


I absolutely loved hanging a stocking by the fireplace as a kid. And teen. And college student home on break. Yep. I would save it for last on Christmas morning, take it off its hook, sit on the floor and carefully inspect what was inside. "Santa" wrapped all the little goodies individually. And there was always a gorgeous apple and orange. I know now, that that was probably a leftover from the European heritage. (We here celebrate St. Nicholas  on December 6. Kids leave clean boots by the door the night before and get oranges and nuts and chocolates in them, if they were good,  then next morning.) Or it was a good way to fill a lot of space in the stocking for little money (speaking now as an experienced Mom ;) Tangent.

How about a card? Let me start by saying I took  Colour Q #266 as an inspiration. I think it's pretty obvious.



Creme cardbase with a strip of embossed brick wall, cuz, well, our fireplace was brick! A slew of stockings strung, cuz, well, I always wished for brothers and sisters. And polka dots stamped onto the center portions, cuz, well, who doesn't love polka dots?!?! Decided to string up my sentiment too after stamping it in multi tones.

And now for something completely different. And my Dad would say "it's not a Christmas card", but hey, I was inspired by this photo from Crazy for CAS #57. Notice the poufs.



Oh Blogger, how thou doth ruin photos...

I was obviously smitten with the yellow fabric. I liked the pink and a touch of blue so wanted to carry that out on my card. And the frames are a nod to the prints hanging on the wall. Even stamped a floral BG onto the pink frame in a nod to the middle sofa pillow.

I heat embossed the stocking, partially masked and polka-dotted it before masking it and the square to heat emboss the trellis pattern. Watercolored both. The thin pink frame is stamped, the other die cut. The neon fragments on the one pom pom could have should have been done without ;) And I should have included a pooch somewhere, maybe peeking out of the stocking!

I'm hooking up at:


Hope you enjoyed. CU tomorrow.


.

23 comments:

Hannelie said...

Must agree about blogger and photo's... but still love your cards today! Especially the interpretation of the sketch!

Claire said...

Your Christmas card is fantastic Maria! The embossed brickwork is the perfect backdrop. I love how you've replicated the pouf on the second...so clever! Thanks for playing along at Colour Q!

~amy~ said...

Love them, awesome inspired cards!

I Card Everyone said...

Love those stockings, and your memories, Maria... sisters? I'm available for adoption!!
=] Michele

Sylvia said...

Such a fun and festive Christmas card, Maria! Nice to see you at the colourQ this week, thanks for playing with us.

Shelly said...

These are so cute!!! Love the stockings and colors!

brenda said...

A lovely traditional feel to the first card Maria and the second such fun colours.

Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Stamping Sensations challenge this month.

B x

Angela said...

So beautiful and bright, Maria! Thank you for watercoloring with us at AAA Cards!

Jean said...

That stocking stamp is so much fun!

Mona Pendleton said...

Super cute cards! Love all the fun little stockings!

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...what a fabulous card...I love those sweet stockings hanging on your brick embossed background, just so festive! Thank you so much for playing along with us at ColourQ, hope to see you again next week.

Shery Russ said...

I'm absolutely loving the card with the stockings over the embossed brick background!

cm said...

Oh my, your snippet of stockings memories have rekindled my own. An orange was always tucked into the toe of our stockings, and the little gifts, while not wrapped, where always incredibly unique, dazzling little delights. Speaking of which: your stocking cards are pure joy! Love the stockings hanging on the 'brick' mantle...
~c

Linda Beeson said...

That stocking stamp is so adorable, I love both of your cards. So glad you could play along at AAA Cards

Tracy said...

Fab christmas creation.Thanks for joining Stamping Sensations challenge. Good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Anita in France said...

Yep, there was always a tangerine ... perfectly peelable for little fingers! Such sweet and fun stockings against the brick chimney breast, Maria ... and what fabulous framed colours! Anita :)

Darnell said...

You've got me smitten with all the cuteness here today, Maria! These fun colors have me grinning!! Hugs, Darnell

Deepti said...

You rock!! you make some of the most delightful cards :)

Julia said...

You really made me smile with your Blogger and photo comment! I totally agree!!! Such great interpretations you did. Your cards are so cute. So glad you joining in with AAA this week.

donna mikasa said...

Super clever take on the sketch! Those hanging polka dotty stockings are adorable and I love the hanging sentiment, too!

Anonymous said...

Love the hanging stockings-- the colors, the white on white fireplace-- stunning modern, CAS!

Ellen said...

Amazing card, great interpretation of the inspiration photo.
Thanks for joining Crazy for CAS.

anja curvers said...

Wow great cards thanks for joining us over at CFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...