Thursday, June 5, 2014

mixed media happy birthday (PCC)

There's another new kid in town (card challenge that is) and it's kinda exotic. Mixed Media CAS. Sound good? It's called The Mixed Media Card Challenge.

"Do you enjoy playing with a variety of mediums and techniques in your cards? Do you often find yourself creating cards that area a little more than CAS?" These are the words of Shery R. (of STAMPlorations fame) to explain her reasons for starting this new challenge.

I love to experiment with techniques and the result is usually more than CAS! I look forward to playing along and am even hooking up to the DT call. As have several other amazingly talented card artists. Looks like there's a market for this type of challenge ;) Well, here's my card.



Oh man, has Blogger made this photo look awful. Can you say frustration? Tangent.

So this card was born as a byproduct of a card which appears in the July issue of Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking where I stencilled colored modelling paste onto acetate. Of course there was paste left over. Of course I couldn't throw it away. So I stencilled it onto a page in a notebook I keep handy. And a BG was born. (And since I stencilled, I'm hooking up at Paper Crafting Challenges #11.

The "U" was die cut from a plaid stamping experiment. The other sentiments were die cut from papers used to soak up excess spray ink from other projects. And the "2" from a PP circle that was living in my scrap pile.

More Mixed Media CAS creations from the past? Here (with tissue paper and modelling paste and glitter) and here (with fabric and modelling paste and watercolors) or here (with washi and modelling paste and wire ribbon and embossing).

Oh and actually, here is the plaid stamping experiment - just realized I've never shared it. Made it for a hashtag submission call.


Appreciate your visit.  Have a great rest of the week.


Supplies for happy birthday 2 u:
Paper:  CS Bringmann, watercolor paper, gingham PP Pink Petticoat
Stamps: PTI 
Ink : Hero Arts
Tools: happy die SSS, birthday die PTI, 2 die Memory Box, U die Lifestyle Crafts
Other:  spray inks, modelling paste

Supplies for back in the saddle:
Paper:  CS Bringmann
Stamps: PTI 
Ink : Hero Arts
Tools: die PTI
Other:  ribbon, PC


13 comments:

Hannelie said...

I feel your frustration wit the photo quality... BUT!!! Your card still look awesome!

Lee-Anne said...

What a fabulous card for your DT entry, Maria...love the colors and wonderful texture! Good luck!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, these are both wonderful! The first one is so cool!

Shery Russ said...

Super-fun and super-hip mixed media card, Maria! It's got great textures, and I love how the placement of your elements naturally leads the eyes from the top right to the big U on on the bottom left then back up again. That notebook paper with the light colored modeling paste is the perfect ground! (And I'm the same way with stencils and modeling paste -- if I can't put the paste back to the jar, it goes onto my sketchbook.) Thanks for hooking up to The Mixed Media Card Challenge DT call! Boy, I've got my work cut out for me with all the amazing cards entered so far!

Tracey McNeely said...

Both cards are so fantastic Maria. I feel your pain with photos--such a bone of contention with me!

Clare said...

Whoa, such a neat, daring card! I definitely don't like to get my fingers dirty, but I love seeing the results of other, much braver crafters! And the second card is so sweet!

Happy Dance said...

Your work always amazes me, Maria. I like CAS, and I like not-so CAS. This one is very cool. So much to see on one little card. Me likey! Well done, and best of luck making the DT...though I personally think you're a shoo-in! Have a great weekend. Bev

joy said...

Love this cute card - you made magic with those leftovers, Maria! Good luck!

Irish Cherokee said...

Two great cards Maria. well done on both.

wienerhoneymooners said...

Okay, Maria!!!! LOVE this, and MUST check out the Mixed Media Challenge for myself!!!! This is SUPER lovely and I love the bit of Plaid!!!!

Thanks for joining us at Papercrafting challenges, be sure to add the "follow by e-mail" to get upates on all new posts and winner updates!!!

cm said...

Maria, your card is an explosion of AWESOME textures, colours, and images. You and mixed media look like a perfect match, based on what you've shared here! Notebook background, funky triangles, colourful die cuts and that plaid U...so much to gaze at in jaw-dropped awe! Gorgeous! Excellent to know you've signed up for the DT call; I'm calling "winner winner" with this gem!
c

shirley-bee said...

FABulous!! Love all the layers and textures. Notebook DP - only you!

Cris G. said...

Oh that first card... so cool. I've been wanting to try a little plaid myself, maybe now that I own some more striped stamps I will try it.
This new challenge sounds like a lot of fun, me likey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...