Monday, March 12, 2018

charmed by distress oxides on glossy paper

Been creating but not posting lately. So I thought I'd pop in today to share  something I tried,  something I saw Tim H. do. Distress Oxides smooshed on glossy paper and then glazed with DIY Micro Glaze.

So in a nutshell, this is what I did. Smooshed DOs onto my craft sheet. Spritzed 'em. Smooshed photo paper (cheapo). Dried and smooshed and dried and smooshed. Liked the resulting uber-oxidized look, but decided to pounce on the glaze anyhoo, polish with an old rag and voila!

vellum
Distress Oxides - Fossilized Amber, Worn Lipstick, Salty Ocean
sewing machine

Stamped the blooms multiple times on the inked panel and added black to the centers with a Sharpie. I chose my colors, BTW, based on this month's inspiration challenge at Altenew.


On the second panel I created, I gave a new blooms stamp a test drive. Stamped with black Archival ink on these panels, BTW.

Distress Oxides - Fossilized Amber, Worn Lipstick, Salty Ocean
sewing machine 

Used the MISTI to assure lineup of the stamp on both the cut panels and the white card base. Added my sentiment on a tiny tag and attached that with white crochet thread across the top.

An interesting technique. Not sure of my verdict. Adding the glaze removes the whole "oxide" effect and turns the muted colors back into bright ones... And the glossy-ness of the glossy paper is still there which isn't always the prettiest, IMO. But it is a cool way to get a vibrant Distress Ink look on glossy paper. And smooshing, well smooshing is always fun, right ?!?

I'm joining these challenges:
The Flower Challenge - #18 Anything Goes
SSS - Happy National Craft Month
SSS - Wednesday Challenge Girl Power
Just Add Ink - Just Add Water



16 comments:

SD pooja said...

Awesome card ! Loved the colourful bg :)

Anita in France said...

Cool and artsy, Maria ... both of them ... I'm especially taken with that first one ... the flowing shapes of the blooms mimic the background inking brilliantly! It's simply gorgeous! Hugs, Anita :)

KimB said...

Well I just love the vibrant colour and texture in both Maria! Stamping the flowers over in black is just stunning. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

Tracy Freeman said...

WOW I love this look, it really looks so gorgeous and i love the colours you have used.
Thank you sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog. Have a great day x

Jan said...

Both cards are fabulous Maria! I love how the colour variations and depth you’ve achieved with smooshing several times over and the black outlines are a lovely, striking contrast. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week.

shirley-bee said...

Beautiful! I love how the colours have fallen on the first one, and that little bit of white space keeps it really fresh. I've got a huge pile of cheap photo paper - now I know what I can use it for :)

Loll said...

These are both so beautiful. Love the colours of your backgrounds Maria. I have tried this, using a baby wipe at the end to remove the "chalk" finish off the photo paper. Works great! xx

Anonymous said...

I'm loving that Smooshed word! I really love the bright vibrant colours. They smoosh together nicely. Chantell Just Add Ink

ColourmehappyDi said...

I like the contrast& geometric look of the bold colours & black & white panels together. Great smooshing & thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular cards, Maria! I absolutely love the colorful background and then the contrast of the outlined flower images against them - it is such a wonderful idea! Gonna try it sometime! :)
hugs, Ashwini

cm said...

All over the place in keeping up with commenting but here I am, completely swooning over these GORGEOUS cards! Beautiful backgrounds for your outline flowers; now this is my kind of colouring! Congratulations at your win over at Just Add Ink; thrilled that your creativity is receiving recognition!
Hugs~c

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Oh WOW!! what vibrant colors you got from the smooshed Oxides, just lovely on both cards.
Love your entry at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, the white stripes across the panel look awesome.
Thank you for sharing with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, hope you play again soon.
Hugs.

Ruth said...

What a fabulous technique - it looks like you have printed or photographed it. Those Oxides are pretty fun! xx

Virginia L. said...

How AWESOME, Maria! That bright colors really stand out! Thanks so much for playing Altenew March Inspiration Challenge! Wunder scheon wie immer~

Anonymous said...

So happy you could join in the fun at the Altenew Inspiration Challenge this month. Beautiful card! This just makes us smile. Great coloring too!

MaryFran said...

I love, love, love this look and thanks so much for the tips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...