Saturday, June 4, 2016

oh. em. gee. seven. tee.

The stars aligned again. I mean the fish ...

Needed a 70th bday card for a great guy who was my Mom's boss and who actually got me my first non-babysitting after-school job. He's 50 at heart. And he and his wife just worked their butts off renovating a 100+ year old cottage on Lake Huron. Painted it barn red, they did.

Needless to say the pressure was on to come up with the perfect card.

Enter this inspiration photo from Colour Q.


I took one look at those sheets and knew what I was going to do. Hello WPlus9 Fish More. Although most of the fish we see on the beach aren't as pretty as these. And are usually dead. You know. The kind the dog likes to roll in to "perfume" herself. I digress. So I was going to try to do some watercolor-y fish pattern.

And then! And then the new challenge over at The Heart Desires popped up on my reader with this inspiration photo.

And they have some interesting rules. There are three elements and you can use any mix of them. I chose sea creatures (well, lake) and geometric. So I opted to work on Neenah white CS with pigment inks and keep it real geometric. Created a full size sheet of stamped fishies, I did!


And then made this card for the birthday boy. Me likey. You likey?


I used MFT High Rise dies. I'm also joining the fun at Seize the Birthday, albeit without the sunshine topping.



And at CAS Mix Up since I've got stamping, die cuts, stitching and vellum. Have a great weekend!

27 comments:

~amy~ said...

OMG.
I LOVE it MARIA and so will he!
Thanks soooo much for joining us for The Heart Desires Challenge #1💚

Loll said...

AWESOME!! LOVE those fishes Maria. You made your own patterned paper ... so cool. And perfect. He is going to love this! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! x

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Love your take, this is so fun! Thanks for joining our first THD cgallenge!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Love your take, this is so fun! Thanks for joining our first THD cgallenge!

Diane Jaquay said...

OMG this is FANTASTIC, Maria, love love love it!!!

Mac Mable said...

Wow and so clever to do that fabulous background, so very personal and so creative x

wienerhoneymooners said...

Yay! Hello there Maria, COOOL card, so creative LOVE it!!! Thanks soooo much for joining us for The Heart Desires Challenge #1💚

Bonnie said...

Me do likey, Maria! What a fantastic card for a very special birthday! Love the patterned paper you made and the vellum banner with the die cut numbers! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Kim Heggins said...

WOW....what a fabulous card! You are amazing. Thanks so much for playing along with us at ColourQ!

Ruth said...

It's fabulous! I love that background paper you've created - it's amazing!! You got the fish all lined up beautifully. Brilliant card and I bet he loves it. Xx

Barbara said...

AWESOME AND CREATIVE! Love your handmade background and the OMG on the front. Perfect, as you said he maybe 70, but acts 50! Thanks for playing with us at Seize the Birthday
Barbara DT member

Tracey McNeely said...

Maria what an awesome colour for this week's colours. When I saw it on Instagram originally I knew right away you used colourQ's palette. These fishies are so amazing, I don't use that set enough. A birthday card he will absolutely love! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the colourQ this week!

Suchi said...

I super likey Maria!! Your use of color palette is brilliant! :)
Suchi xx

I Card Everyone said...

me LIKEY!!! OH I adore that stamp set - and the paper you've created! Just fantastic, Maria!
=]

Sharyn Polesel said...

I love the stamped background and the fun sentiment! Thanks for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday!

Toni said...

OMG indeed! Fabulous fabulous card!

Toni
THD

Anita in France said...

Yep, me likey, Maria ... this is BRILLIANT ... what an amazing couple ... I can so relate (in a younger sort of a way!!). Hugs, Anita :)

Oreety said...

Me likey? No. Me lovey!!!!! I really struggled with this week's ColourQ and I must say that I'm embarrassed to have my card linked up next to your masterpiece!! Simply stunning --clean, simple, masculine yet playful and a gorgeou interpretation of the challenge photo/colors. Well done!!

cm said...

Likey? Heck no! Lovey! As in big lovey...this one is awesome; so too are all its friends! I've convinced myself I do not need fish stamps; you are rapidly convincing me otherwise! Totally fin-tastic!
Hugs~c

Patti said...

Wow! this is totally cool! Not many 70 year olds would appreciate such a fun and "hip" sentiment but your friend sounds like he'll be around to enjoy many more fun and spunky days!!

Thanks a bunch for including this great card in the Seize The Birthday callenge Maria!

Patti

OH Babs said...

Oh how clever, this is a keeper and one to CASe.

shirley-bee said...

Me likey!! Your fish are so obligingly neat and orderly - love the all-over pattern. Thanks for playing along at Seize The Birthday :)

Susan said...

I assumed it was patterned paper when I first saw your card - great job creating your own for the background! Love the vellum banner, and the "OMG" die cut made me laugh! Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.

tonyamaries said...

This is AWESOME! Such a fun creative card! Thank you so much for joining us for our first challenge at The Heart Desires!

Kathryn Lorenzini said...

That background is phenomenal, Maria. The whole card signature you! Love everything about it. So glad you shared your talent with our new challenge. Please play every month, okay?!!

stampwithsandy said...

This is gorgeous! Love the beautiful fishie background you stamped. My BIL is turning 70 soon and this card would be perfect for him. Thanks for the inspiration!

Maureen said...

Me likes too! This is fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...